Who is Artéma
Artéma is the Institute for Arts Management and Development of the North-West University. This institute came into operation on the 1st of December 2003 and focuses on the empowerment and training of people involved on the management and organizational side of all genres of the arts in South and Southern Africa. Artéma is the first institute of its kind in South Africa that serves the arts in collaboration with as many role players as possible by training managers and administrators in the arts.
Artéma dreams to be a dynamic leading role-player within the Southern African arts community, by presenting arts management and related disciplines training on international standard and to successfully manage other arts businesses on a sustainable level.
- Presenting a variety of university accredited short courses on a sustainable level.
- Relevant research within the arts environment.
- Presenting arts development projects on all levels of society.
- The profitable and sustainable operation of Artéma Recording Studio.
- The profitable and sustainable operation of Alabama Productions.
Since opening our doors at the end of 2003, Artéma:
- Presented more than 150 training interventions empowering ± 3 000 people.
- 7 of these interventions were Learnership programmes (8-10 months in duration)
- 143 of these interventions were short course training programmes (3-5 days in duration)
- We have presented the subject “Arts Management” (MUSB312 and 322) at the School of Music since 2004
- Organized and presented the first ever National Arts Management Symposia in the history of South Africa from 2006 – 2008.
- Attended a master class and symposium presented by Michael Kaiser, president of the Kennedy Centre for the Performing Arts in DC.
- Developed and implemented 7 different short course training programmes.
- Undertook research trips to England and the USA in 2006 and again to the USA in 2011.
- Presented a workshop for choir leaders on the “Sustainability of Community Choirs”. The workshop was lead by Jonathan Griffith of Distinguished Concerts International in New York.
- Conducted a research project in collaboration with the communication sciences honours students on campus on the Internet Presence of South African Artists.
- Was part of the rescue effort of the Aardklop National Arts Festival, on the operational side in 2016.
Artéma is privileged to have worked with like-minded partners in the arts environment.ng managers and administrators in the arts
Artéma has proudly collaborated with the ATKV for more than 17 years in empowering people with arts management skills and other arts development projects across the lentgh and breath of our country.
Since 2004 Artéma has collaborated with Aardklop annually in a variety of capacities, including training and arts development projects as well as managing all operational aspects of the new revived Aardklop National Arts Festival in 2016.
North-West Provincial Government – Department of Sport Arts and Culture Free State Provincial Government – Department of Sport Arts and Culture Northern Cape Provincial Government – Department of Sport Arts and Culture Western Cape Provincial Government – Department of Cultural affairs and Sport Ekurhuleni Metro North West Craft and Design Institute Mmabana Arts and Culture Foundation Artscape Ekurhuleni Metro PANSA Arterial Network ATKV, KKNK, Aardklop MAPPP-SETA School of Music (Potchefstroom Campus, NWU) Creativity Centre (Potchefstroom Campus, NWU)